amlodipine gpt

Amlodipine BP pills: eyes open
There is a wider issue here than amlodipine: the increasingly industrialised nature of NHS prescribing.

You are lucky to reach 60 without the NHS wanting to introduce you to statins, blood-pressure tablets and assorted other medicines intended to mitigate the familiar ailments and risks of ageing. Many of these drugs are demonstrably useful. But that doesn't mean every prescription is necessarily right for every patient.

The NHS is an enormous system dealing with an ageing population. Truly individualised medicine is difficult and expensive. Guidelines, thresholds and algorithms are inevitable — but so is compromise.

This is particularly obvious with cholesterol. Patients can receive recommendations for long-term medication largely on the basis of blood tests combined with calculated cardiovascular risk. Meanwhile, public discussion ranges from enthusiastic support for preventative statins to people who consider the benefit too marginal to justify side-effects.

Then there is the bewildering argument about HDL, LDL, diet, saturated fat and what constitutes a genuinely healthy lifestyle. Add a remarkably fit 100-year-old happily eating butter and drinking full-fat milk and the average patient can be forgiven for wondering whether nutritional science has quite finished the argument.

Case in point.. 
Vincent Dransfield (110 Years Old): Born in 1914, this New Jersey supercentenarian lived independently, drove daily, and remained completely free of major chronic illnesses. His ultimate longevity secret? Drinking a glass of full-fat milk every single day. Dransfield attribute his strong bone health to starting his youth working on a dairy farm, where he drank fresh milk regularly. He consistently rejected restrictive dietary trends in favor of eating exactly what he wanted.

The danger is that medicine becomes something done to the patient rather than with the patient.

A retired nurse I know is exceptionally active, a long-term vegetarian and bwalks several miles a day. She has a very low BMI, yet becomes seriously worried whenever a cholesterol result strays marginally beyond the recommended range. Her GP's dire warnings have clearly made an impression - yet the proposition that she can make lifestyle changes to materially affect her cholesterol, given the nature of her lifestyle, is bordering on the absurd and questions the competence of the doctor and process.

Perhaps the advice is entirely justified by an aberrant NHS algorithm But it illustrates the problem: a laboratory number, a population-level risk calculation and an individual human being are not the same thing.

The old-fashioned family GP who knew the patient for decades — sometimes literally from cradle to grave — has largely disappeared. There are still excellent NHS practices and excellent doctors, but continuity has suffered and many patients now experience primary care as an obstacle course of telephone systems, online forms, reception triage and ten-minute consultations.

That makes it particularly difficult to investigate something subtle: what if two supposedly interchangeable versions of the same medicine don't seem interchangeable to the patient?

My own amlodipine experiment...

I normally take my (minimal)  blood-pressure medication at about 8 a.m. and check my BP when something "feels" materially different.  I like to kid myself I can sense when my blood pressure is creeping up, and not worry when it remains "in range". I believe that most people can sense their own qualitative blood pressure changes with a little familiarity and prices.

But today I felt distinctly faint, which prompted me to look more closely at something I have suspected for some time.

I have two versions of amlodipine 5 mg:

Sandoz

Sandoz 5mG- lozenge shaped 

BP results Sep19 138/75/72

PI 13372 052926 SZ00105L015C


IPCA labs UK - round tablet

BP results Sep18 150/88/ pulse 98

DNH/DRUGS/NHS/34

Which is quite a big drop over a single day 

Obviously two readings a day apart prove very little. Blood pressure varies for all sorts of reasons: posture, activity, anxiety, hydration, caffeine, time after medication and simple measurement error. But I've been doing this now for long enough to be able to sense a change.

I took one 5 mg Sandoz tablet daily for about three years and the result was stable day-to-day. In March 2026 my supply was changed, without warning, to the Ipca product.

I immediately felt that its effect was reduced, confirmed with measurements,  and reported this. I was subsequently told to take two 5 mg tablets per day to compensate..

But now the Sandoz pill has reappeared — and I have again noticed what feels like a more pronounced effect.

That does not establish that Sandoz contains more amlodipine, that Ipca contains less, or that either product is defective. Generic medicines authorised in the UK have to meet regulatory standards for pharmaceutical quality and bioequivalence.

But "bioequivalent" does not necessarily mean that every patient will report an identical experience after switching manufacturer. Formulation, excipients, tablet construction and individual physiology can potentially affect tolerability and the patient's experience, even where the active ingredient and nominal dose are identical.

And that raises the question that interests me:

When the NHS changes the manufacturer of a medicine that has kept a patient stable for years, how much attention is subsequently paid to what the patient actually experiences?

I have not kept a forensic record because, for years, there seemed no reason to. Everything was consistent - but that changed.

Rather than relying on instinct, I intend to record manufacturer and batch number, dose and time taken, BP and pulse at consistent intervals, and any symptoms such as faintness.

If the apparent difference between Sandoz and Ipca disappears, fair enough.

If it persists over dozens of properly controlled readings, that becomes considerably more interesting.

There is also an important distinction between questioning a particular prescription and rejecting medicine altogether. Amlodipine can substantially reduce blood pressure and cardiovascular risk in appropriate patients. Equally, feeling faint after antihypertensive medication deserves attention rather than being dismissed as the price of getting a desirable number on a blood-pressure monitor.

The sensible principle ought to be simple:

Guidelines should inform medical treatment. They should not replace observation of the individual patient.

And patients should not be afraid to say: I have been taking this medicine for years. Something changed when you changed the tablets. Please investigate it.

This is of course an unrealistic approach in the NHS as it stands today where it barely functions at the basic levels - never mind level of nuance implied by this discussion.

Comments